Reading Letting Agent, covering Berkshire | property to rent in Reading, Wokingham, Bracknell, Newbury, Basingstoke, Maidenhead & Lower Earley
Also On
NetRent - Houses and flats to rent throughout the UK

I want to let out my property; do I need to tell the mortgage lender?

Yes, you must obtain permission from your mortgage lender and inform us of any special conditions that they impose. We may require written evidence of this.

What is an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are part of Home Information Packs, which have been in effect since 1 August 2007 in England and Wales for domestic properties. All properties that are let out are required by law to have an EPC.

How do I improve the chances of letting out my property?

Properties should be; clean, decorate before they look tired, preferably in light neutral tones. Decent floor coverings are a must. Vacant properties without curtains, light fittings, adequate power points and smoke alarms indicate an uncaring landlord, who will only attract uncaring tenants.

How do I know how much rent to charge?

We will assess the potential rental value in current market conditions and recommend the type of tenant that would be most suitable for the property.

If I let out a property do I have to provide the tenant with any furniture?

No, you can let out your property; fully furnished, partly furnished or unfurnished. However when deciding whether to provide furniture with a property or not consider the type of tenant you are targeting and what their needs are likely to be. It is also important to note the condition of the furniture provided in the inventory.

How do I know I am getting a good tenant?

We will obtain a credit reference and take up employer and current landlord references via an independent referencing company. For applicants who have a clean credit history but who are financially weak for the rental commitment we either ask for a guarantor or obtain full settlement of rent in advance for the tenancy term.

What do I do about a deposit?

A security deposit a maximum of 5 weeks the monthly rental will normally be required and paid to the landlord. The deposit is held to cover damage, breakages, and any other liabilities under the terms of your tenancy agreement. In line with current legislation, our landlords will be advised to register all suitable deposits with the DPS within 14 days of the start of the contract. The Deposit Protection Service (DPS) is a tenancy deposit protection scheme accredited by the Government. It is provided free of charge and funded entirely by the interest earned from deposits held in the scheme. See for more information.

Who has to pay the council tax on the property?

A tenant is responsible for the payment of council tax during the period of the tenancy (as long as this is stated in the Tenancy Agreement). However when the property is vacant the landlord or homeowner is responsible for paying the council tax.

Who is responsible for the TV licence, the tenant or the landlord?

It is both the landlord and tenant's responsibility to ensure that the address has a valid TV licence. However the responsibility on who has to pay for the licence is usually stated in the Tenancy Agreement. However if the landlord provides a television with the property then they would be expected to pay for the TV licence, particularly in any communal areas.

What is an inventory?

A list detailing every item contained within a rental property and the condition each listed item is in, usually checked by all parties on the day the tenant moves in and signed by all parties. Wpm can provide details on inventory services for landlords.

What happens about insurance when I let out a property?

It is a good idea for the landlord to have insurance on the property and for any contents, such as furniture and white goods they have provided in the property. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents left in the property (however it is a good idea to state this in the tenancy agreement).

How do I receive my rental income?

We arrange for the tenant to sign a standing order or direct debit mandate directly to the landlord for all future rent.

Do I have to pay income tax on rental income?

Paying tax on your rental income, and if you are living outside of the UK applying for approval to receive rent with no tax deducted. In absence of this approval we must deduct tax at source from your rental income and pay these monies to the Inland Revenue on your behalf. You are also responsible for paying all property taxes for periods when the property is vacant. As well as keeping records for VAT and personal taxation purposes.

What should I do if a tenant has left furniture in the property after they have moved out?

Property left behind is still classed as the tenants and if removed, or sold a claim can be made against the landlord for the value of the goods. The landlord becomes a bailee when the goods are left behind and can only legally sell or remove them under the Torts (interference with goods) Act 1977. Landlords are not permitted to sell the goods for compensation on any damage caused by the tenant or for any unpaid rent. However in practice a landlord cannot get a court order for each tenant that leaves property behind, and a landlord has to make a judgement, and with items of value keep clear evidence that they have done all they can to contact the former tenant in question.